Sunday, September 21, 2008

Chrome annoyance: excessive HTML codes for text copied to the clipboard

I thing that I find really annoying about Google's new Chrome Web browser is that if I copy and paste some text from a Web page into an email message in Outlook Express, such as this one, it smothers the text in an excessive amount of HTML codes that make it very difficult to reformat the text in the email message. Normally, I can simply select the text after it has been pasted and press Ctrl+Space and the formatting will be ignored. But now, Chrome wraps a convoluted "SPAN" HTML code around even simple text copied to the clipboard. For example, I just copied the text "Dedicated to providing information to individual investors" from one of my own Web pages and I know that it has no formatting, but Chrome obfuscated it with:

<SPAN class=Apple-style-span
style="WORD-SPACING: 0px; FONT: 16px 'times new roman'; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; WHITE-SPACE: normal; LETTER-SPACING: normal; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate; orphans: 2; widows: 2; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0">...</SPAN>

That is ridiculous, all of that formatting for default, unformatted text.

For now, I either click on the "Source" tab in Outlook Express and manually strip off the SPAN codes, or paste into NOTEPAD.EXE and then re-copy to the clipboard before pasting it into my email. At least I can count on Notepad not to clog up the clipboard.

-- Jack Krupansky

1 Comments:

At 8:33 PM EST , Blogger Peach said...

Yep I agree - it makes it virtually unusable for me as I cut and paste email scripts from static web pages constantly

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home