Saturday, December 09, 2006

Reading and writing on my trip to New York City

I'll have more than enough potential activities to keep me 220% occupied during my two-week trip to New York City which starts a week from Wednesday, I still feel like I should try o do something useful as well. On the other hand, relaxing and resting get top priority. The default would be to do some reading, but I don't want to "waste" hours a day when I only have two weeks. I'd also like to do some writing as well.

My current thought is to pick up a different magazine or journal each day and familiarize myself with a totally new topic every day, focusing on stuff that I have little knowledge of and even no current interest in. Maybe I'll spend an hour or two a day with that type of "reading", at lunch time or resting before going to dinner and to put me to sleep before I go to bed.

My morning reading might be focused on reading The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, or even the Daily News or The New York Post on occasion for variety.

At a minimum, my reading may include some travel, food, politics, sports, photography, or even (cringe) fashion.

I would like to do some writing, but we'll see. I don't want to be overly ambitious for such a short period of time where relaxation is the priority. Blogging may be enough writing for me. But whether I simply blog or write more extensively, I would need to have access to a PC.

Of course, I would actually do some old-fashioned longhand writing, but then it wouldn't be accessible online, although I could scan it and OCR it. Or maybe the novelty of writing without the constraints of a keyboard and text editor would be liberating. Whether I put such writing online may be beside the point. I already take lots of notes every day, with index cards and notebooks, but I usually take only very abbreviated notes and leave any full-blown writing for the PC. Still, it might be interesting to experiment with a change.

I definitely am not into writing fiction or "stories", but there might be some potential for writing narratives for experiences I may have had which may or may not be interesting to others. Or maybe even write narratives which forecast the future use of technologies that I anticipate in the coming decades.

I have also considered taking and organizing photos, but somehow that doesn't feel like the right thing for me to day. Flickr is full of photo sets from travelers. A few more photos from me would be lost in all of the noise and probably be more effort than the satisfaction I might get.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home