Thursday, February 02, 2006

Hoping to get your data back? If only DVPC were a reality

Have you had a hard-drive crash or theft of your computer or otherwise "lost" some or all of your data?

Are you one of those people who knows that they need to "back up" their data, but for whatever reasons it just doesn't always happen?

Have you backed up your data but have misplaced the backup?

Have you ever wanted to go back and look at an old version of your data (like from a year ago)?

I've personally had my share of these problems (no theft, yet), so I came up with a technical vision of a product and service that I call a Distributed Virtual Personal Computer or DVPC that completely eliminates all of these problems. It's only a proposal and not detailed enough to actually implement, yet, but I personally think it would make a lot of our lives much, much easier and less anxiety-provoking.

You can take a look at my Distributed Virtual Personal Computer (DVPC) proposal and please forward it on to anybody you think might be in a position to actually implement it.

I was inspired to write this post after reading the following blog posts which chronicle one professional's so-far tragic experience with his beloved hard-drive:

My dream is that every personal computer will eventually include DVPC right out of the box, with absolutely no fussing required. No more backups. No more archiving. No more lost data. No more hard-drive anxiety. Maybe some day this will be reality.

I suppose this vision classifies me as a certifiable kook.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home