Saturday, August 06, 2005

The essence of blogging success and failure

I still have plenty of other comments to make, but I felt that it's worthwhile to try to crystallize at least a few things.  Here's my (imagined) list of the top three requirements for achieving success as a blogger:

  1. Compelling content.
  2. Compelling content.
  3. Compelling content.
Evaluating my own failed efforts over the past six months, here are the top three (imagined) reasons why my efforts have been such an abysmal failure:
  1. Lack of compelling content.
  2. Lack of compelling content.
  3. Lack of compelling content.
Seriously, all the various and sundry mistakes I've made along the way could probably easily be corrected using various ideas, suggestions, tips, tricks, training, and better tools, but all of that would be for naught without the elusive compelling content.

-- Jack Krupansky

2 Comments:

At 5:26 PM EDT , Blogger Paul Chaney said...

Jack, I think you're being too hard on yourself. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "Compelling content" is subjective. What is compelling to me may not be to others.

I think "having something to say" is a better criteria for determining whether or not to continue blogging. Of course, that's subjective as well I guess. However, the subjectivity there is internal. Do you feel you just ran out of things to say?

I don't know what your goals were in terms of the kinds of results you hoped to see from your blogging efforts. But, FIVE BLOGS!!!! Man, you are a glutton for punishment. I don't know how anyone could sustain that level of productivity over the long-haul. I know. I've tried. I wrote three blogs for Weblogs Inc, one for Creative-Weblogging, one for Allbusiness.com, and two of my own. (Did I mention I'm also a glutton for punishment?) I've since dialed back to three.

I do appreciate your chronicleing the reasons why you've chosen your present course of action. You're teaching lessons each of us need to learn. I hope your decision is not so terminal as it appears to be and that we see you back in the blogosphere in the near future.

 
At 5:57 PM EDT , Blogger Jack Krupansky said...

If there is something that I am passionate about it's that we should have higher standards. On that score I am not prepared to yield an inch.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't have had *MORE* blogs. I do have a lot of interests that don't fit into any of my existing five blogs. That means that a lot of easy posts simply aren't getting made.

My plug-pulling decision is not strictly terminal in two senses: 1) the blogs stay as-is and restarting is no different than posting a new post, and 2) if some truly compelling reasons for blogging do show up on my radar screen, then a simple cost-benefit analysis will decide whether I resume or not.

Thanks for the comments.

-- Jack Krupansky

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home