Saturday, July 30, 2005

Status of my blogging cloud on Saturday, July 30, 2005

As of today, my blog "cloud" is 933 hits in Google, but that's 171 displayed hits, and 855 total hits, compared to 3,570, 185, and 3,390 way back on July 4.  My is defined as the results of a Google search of my name in quotes and the word "blog".  Ultimately, the second number is the most accurate or reliable representation of your blog cloud's size.

I suspect that the numbers bounce around erratically since blogs sometimes have lists of recent comments, and a number of my older comments simply fell off those lists.  That's life, but there is also the lesson that you need to stay current and can't thrive for very long on old contributions.

Over time, a number of blogs will simply disappear, although if they are hosted on a service such as Blogger, their archived content should stay around indefinitely.

Another issue is that Google's web crawler and database mirroring are somewhat erratic, so the numbers can bounce around even if the actual content on the web remains unchanged.

My strategy for raising these numbers is to continue to make quality comments on the blogs of others, as well as to post my own blog posts when I feel that I have something to say.  Unfortunately, I've been so busy with my move to Boulder, Colorado that I've been remiss in both blogging by own posts and commenting on others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home