Friday, December 05, 2008

Why can't I see charts and quotes in Google Finance using Google Chrome anymore??!!

Just a couple of days ago I noticed that Google Finance was not displaying charts or quote information for stocks when using the Google Chrome browser. I thought maybe it was some service outage on Google's end, but I just tried again and those features are still broken. Even worse, those features do work fine in Microsoft Internet Explorer. What happened?!?! I have no idea. It is amusing that Google Finance is working better with IE than Chrome. Sigh.

I did a little Googling, but found no mention of the problem.

Wait... I just found something:

I discovered that if I empty the cache then pages would display properly.

See: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=6ba0171cffa12713&hl=en

But first I simply tried to empty the cache from within Chrome by going to "Customize", "Clear browing data..." and selecting only the checkbox for "Cache" and clicking the "Clear Browsing Data" button, but this still did not fix the problem.

So, I navigated to C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache and saw that there were five files there, "data_0" through "data_3" and "index". I suspected that maybe those cache files might be corrupted, so I deleted them (after closing Chrome first). Nope, that did not fix the problem.

Next, I cleared the browsing history from within Chrome. Still doesn't work!!!!

So, I bit the bullet and selected all of the check boxes to clear the download history, cookies, and passwords. Now... it works fine!!! Yeah!!!

My suspicion is that the cookies were the problem, so if you run into this problem, start by clearing the cookies. Unfortunately, my browsing history is now gone. Poof. Sigh. Maybe some cookie got corrupted. But, it is curious that Google Finance was still working fine with IE.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home