Monday, September 03, 2007

I am now on Facebook

I just added my basic profile to Facebook. I am not so sure that I will actually do very much with Facebook, but at least my name is out there and it is an option.

I am not even sure that getting "friends" on Facebook will do me much good, but at least it is now an option.

I've been on LinkedIn for a couple of years now and although it has never delivered much value to me, but in the past year I am amused that every month or two I get an invite from somebody I haven't had any contact with in quite a few years.

I don't particularly care for this idea of each of these social networking sites maintaining a profile and me having to manually reenter my "data" for each new site. I would rather see a scheme where I can maintain my personal data independent of any vendor and then selectively and dynamically disclose information based on parameters I can control, or basically asking the question "So, who wants to know?" But for now, Web 2.0 seems to be based on the concept of each web site "owning" some random collection of data about me.

For now, I have no "friends" on Facebook. We'll see how long that lasts.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home