Marketing trends to watch for 2008
On Ad Age, Bob Liodice, President-CEO, ANA, offers a list of advertising and marketing trends that are worth watching in 2008, entitled "Trends to Watch in 2008." Read the details there, but here are the "teasers" for the trends:
- MARKETERS HIT A ROUGH PATCH
- INNOVATION AND CREATIVITY RULE
- GET SERIOUS ABOUT ACCOUNTABILITY
- DIGITAL, DIGITAL, DIGITAL (AND PORTABLE TOO)
- THE 'BRAND SWARM'
- GETTING COMPENSATION RIGHT (PLEASE)
- NEUROLOGICAL MARKET RESEARCH
- EMERGENCE OF THE 'RENAISSANCE MARKETER'
- THE POWER OF STRATEGIC ALIGNMENT
- PRIVACY, PRIVACY, PRIVACY
I'll detail one of them here just to give you a feel for their depth:
THE 'BRAND SWARM'
Marketers will move decidedly in the direction of DDB CEO Chuck Brymer's "swarm theory" -- the notion that people and their opinions coalesce to form critical forces that massively influence marketplace ideas and concepts. "Swarm theory" will elevate social networking to new levels, confirming the immense impact that consumers have on each another. Marketers that embrace this trend can form consumer brand "advocates" and drive brand loyalty and trust to new heights -- if done responsibly.