Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Google Gmail SMTP working fine now

I was finally able to send a message via Google Gmail from Microsoft Outlook Express. It had been hanging with a progress message of "Securing". I did some Google searching for this problem and others have run into it too (big surprise there). Some people suggesting reseting the SMTP port number to 465 (it was already set that way for me). Given that the problem does eventually clear without any intervention on the part of the user, there is some opportunity for "myth-building" about techniques that "cure" the problem. Kind of like "cures for the common cold".

I had already tried exiting and restarting Outlook Express, but I did it again and Gmail finally accepted my outbound message.

-- Jack Krupansky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home